Affordable Housing Development
The City manages the Affordable Housing Development Program to support the development of affordable housing for low-income households. This program is recommended by City staff for Community Development Block Grant and HOME Investment Partnership program funding each year. The application for the overall program is reviewed by the Community Development Board and then recommendations are made to the City Council to fund the program.
How to become a CHDOA CHDO is a private nonprofit organization certified by the HOME program to perform housing-related activities involving ownership, sponsorship and development. Each CHDO must annually demonstrate staff capacity and development experience in order to maintain CHDO status.Organizations interested in becoming a CHDO or maintaining annual CHDO certification must complete an application and submit accompanying documents to:
Attention: Dina Harmon
2825 3rd Avenue North, 6th Floor
Billings, MT 59101
Prior to completing an application, please review the CHDO Survivor Kit in order to assess the organization's readiness to become or remain a CHDO.
New Projects - Application & Requirements
- Applicant Guidelines Manual
- Affordable Housing Development Application
- Funding Sources, Uses & Operations
- Affirmative Marketing
Developers and contractors working in housing programs must register with the City as a vendor, obtain a D-U-N-S number and register with the System for Award Management:
- vendor packet includes the Vendor/Contractor Registration Application, a vendor information form, and a W-9 form. The
- www.dnb.com or call 1-866-805-5711. The process is free for those indicating they are registering as an assistance recipient of government contracts. All contractors must acquire a DUNS number through Dun and Bradstreet. The process takes less than five minutes! You can visit the D&B website at
- quick start guide for details and visit the SAM.gov website. Contractors are required to register with the System for Award Management. The process involves creating an Individual Account and then registering as a new entity. Please refer to this