Explore Billings
Click to Home

Go To Search
Stay Connected
Public Works
David D. Mumford, P.E.
Public Works Director

2224 Montana Ave - 2nd Floor
Billings, MT  59101

Ph: (406) 657-8230
Fax: (406) 237-6291

8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Monday - Friday
Each of us are touched daily by Public Works services. Public Works allocates available resources to protect the health and safety of Billings residents. We provide design, construction, operation and maintenance of water, wastewater, storm water, streets and alleys, solid waste, traffic control, and we provide engineering and other services most citizens take for granted.

Public Works Divisions
  • Environmental Affairs Division
  • Solid Waste Division 
  • Street-Traffic Division 
  • Wastewater Treatment Division
  • Water Treatment Division

Solid Waste Fees on Utility Bills

Solid waste collection fees for both residential and commercial customers will be included on monthly utility bills beginning in August.  The Billing City Council approved the ordinance on June 25, 2012 to change the method of billing for solid waste collection fees to be billed monthly on the water and wastewater utility bills rather than on Yellowstone County tax statements.  This change will improve customer service and keep solid waste fees the same this year.  Please call Public Works Administration at 657-8230 or email questions to .

Exceptions for City solid waste accounts must stay in the same name of the entity being billed for water and/or wastewater unless it qualifies for one of the following exceptions:

• A condo or homeowner’s association in which the individual property owners have been directly billed on the annual tax statement prior to July 1, 2012 and the association fees cannot feasibly be adjusted in order to accommodate the change in garbage billing from the property owner to the association.

• A property management company or other landlord in which the landlord has a rental agreement or lease in effect prior to July 1, 2012 and the agreement or lease specifies that the property management company or landlord is responsible for the garbage bill.

All exceptions will only be honored for agreements in effect as of June 30, 2012.

To obtain an exception, please fill out the waiver and either email to , mail to: 2251 Belknap Ave, Billings, MT 59101, or fax to 406-657-8319.


Stormwater Public Service Announcement

Stormwater is water from precipitation that flows across the ground and pavement when it rains or when snow and ice melt. The water seeps into the ground or drains into what we call storm sewers. These are the drains you see at street corners or at low points on the sides of your streets. Collectively, the draining water is called stormwater runoff and is a concern to us in commercial and industrial sites, as well as your neighborhood, because of the pollutants it carries. Stormwater is not treated once it enters the city storm sewers, therefore all of the untreated stormwater flows into the Yellowstone River. 

The City of Billings has teamed up with MusEco (The Green Man) to provide education about the importance of keeping the storm drains clean. To view the public service announcement, click on the link below:

Public Service Announcement