Office of Professional Standards

How Do I File a Complaint or Commendation for an Officer?

A Complaint or Commendation may be filed by faxing (406-657-8417), mailing (P.O. Box 1554, Billings, MT 59103), or bringing your Complaint / Commendation form to the Police Department. If you fax or mail your form in, please address it to the Chief of Police.

Important Information When You File

When you file your complaint / commendation, please include as much information as possible in your description of the event, such as:
  • Date, time, and exact location of the incident
  • Name of the officer(s)
  • Badge number (if available)
  • Name, telephone number and / or address of any potential witnesses
  • Any other evidence you fell may be important, such as copies of citations, photographs, etc.


A full explanation of the complaint process may be downloaded here: Complaint & Commendation Process